Monday, February 5, 2018

What Normally Happens Day of Trial

I was set to defend a DUI trial this morning.  I prepped all Super Bowl Weekend.  Poor me, I know :)

In any case, I got up this morning and my client texted me that our witness in Lexington was sick and so was her six month old kid.  This witness is crucial to my clients case.  I told my client we would bring it up to the judge and prosecutor and see how they wished to proceed.  Just before I parked my car my client texted me that the witness could be there for the trial.  Great.  I'm ready to go.

Yet when I arrived at the courthouse and spoke to the prosecutor she was sick and needed to go home after the morning docket.  She has always been courteous to me so there was really no response other than ok.  This also gave me a chance to speak to the arresting officer and breath test officer about the case.  The judge in this case is exceptionally pleasant and understood the reason for moving the trial date. 

Seems like 60% of the time I get ready or set for trial the case either resolves at the courthouse steps or gets bumped to another trial date.  Reminds me of being a kid and preparing for an examination.  You spend all week studying and focusing on the test.   The information is constantly on your brain even when you are sleeping.  Nonetheless, the teacher comes in on Monday morning and says that the copy machine ate the test so we are going to move it two weeks down the line.  Clearly I can't control who is sick and when they get sick, but it is always something when you are in this line of work.

I'm hoping the two weeks will give the prosecutor more time to evaluate the case and potentially offer my client a resolution. 

Thoughts and not really Advertising Material, but I'll put ADVERTISING MATERIAL just to be safe

www.louisville-injury-lawyer.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment