Friday, February 9, 2018

I'm working on another fire case.  I say another because it blows my mind that I've had two separate incidents where landlords and management companies fail to make their properties safe.  Side note: I come from a family of commercial realtors/property managers.

The first case I just resolved.  My clients were on the third floor of an apartment complex. The fire escape was padlocked.  Prior to the fire, my client told the landlord to fix the locked escape and his response was move out if you want.  You know where this is going, fire happens, client is forced to jump from third floor, severely injures herself.  Another client in that incident made it to the locked fire escape and dropped two stories instead of three wherein she fractured her foot.  Another law firm had the case before me and dropped it because they couldn't get info from the fire department.  I made a limited request for pictures of the fire escape and LMFD provided it which gave me enough information to move forward.

This new case involves a sophisticated property management company failing to respond to my clients repeated requests that the fire alarms be fixed.  They ignored it and guess what? A fire.  My client didn't have enough time to respond to the fire and fractured her ankle trying to escape.  Functioning alarms would have given her enough time to escape.  What is really surprising to me is that the property management company failed to call me back to discuss so now they are getting sued.  If you own property, hurt someone, and expect a Plaintiff's lawyer to just let it go that is probably a bad look.

Follow up: I sent the property management company a Complaint (Lawsuit) and they called me back the same day.  C'MON Man!

www.louisville-injury-lawyer.com Advertising Material.

No comments:

Post a Comment