Tuesday, November 28, 2017

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished- Helping a Family Member

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished- Helping a Family Member

This afternoon I'm defending a deposition.  This is the only defense case I have open and it is pro bono for a friend.   It is not related to an injury manner.

My client took care of her elderly aunt for five years through a voluntary power of attorney (POA).  Client was basically at the beck and call of the Aunt to do things like take her around town or to the grocery store.  Out of the blue in comes a Man from out of state that is significantly younger than Aunt and about the same age as client.  Man and Aunt haven't seen each other in decades.  Man takes over Aunt's life, moves into her house, and my client is subsequently removed from power of attorney.  Man then decides he is going to have Aunt sue my client for acts she took that were authorized by the Aunt.  The damages are less than what Aunt is going to pay her lawyer to try the case. 

I've handled family cases before.  This included cases between members of my own family.  They are UGLY cases where nobody wins in the end.  The stress this case is going to cause on the Aunt and on my client from what I can tell isn't worth the money they are fighting over.  Both had a good relationship before Man enters the picture and my client is close to the only family that Aunt has left.  In addition, I've counter sued Man and it is likely to get ugly for him :). 

Tell your family you love them tonight.

Brian Dettman www.louisville-injury-lawyer.com Advertising Material.

No comments:

Post a Comment